Your Credit Report
You want a solid credit rating, but paying your bills on time isn't always enough. Sometimes mistakes may creep in that affect your credit rating. That's why we recommend you check your credit report at least once a year.
Equifax Canada Inc. receives your credit information directly from the financial institutions and retail outlets you use. The information is compiled in a credit report that lenders refer to whenever you apply for credit or loans. It’s what they look at to see whether you made your payments on time and consistently.
Why you should get to know your credit report
- You'll gain an understanding of the credit process and see what kind of information is tracked
- You can learn about ways to improve your credit report so that you can plan for major loans and purchases
- You can find out who has been checking your credit history
- You can see if identity theft or fraud has taken place by inquiring about unusual purchases and defaulted payments you know you didn't make
- You can resolve any inaccuracies that appear on your report and improve your credit rating as a result
Equifax Canada Inc.’s online services
- Instant credit reports – Don't want to wait for the mail? For a fee, you can gain instant access to your credit report. (Fees vary with the type of package you request)
- Check your credit online
- Quick resolutions - An online investigation process can correct errors and solve disputes within 48 hours
To obtain your credit report for free by mail, or if you have questions about your report, contact Equifax Canada's call centre at 1.800.465.7166.