We've partnered with Threshold Housing Society to create transitional housing for youth at risk of being homeless at the society's Threshold House. Through our investment, totalling $380,000 over five years, we're helping to break the cycle of homelessness in the Capital Region District and enabling young people to make a healthier transition into adulthood.
- Help house, long-term, youth between the ages of 16-24 who are at risk of being homeless (approximately 30 youth over 5 years).
- In addition to our recent $380,000 commitment to support Threshold House, Coast Capital Savings has provided eight grants to Threshold Housing Society, primarily in support of their Safe Housing and Self Worth workshop programs, which provide life-skills support to youth so they can complete their education, conduct job searches and manage mental health issues. Since 2011, these grants have totaled $160,000.
We've invested $375,000 to partner with the Streetohome Foundation in breaking the cycle of homelessness in Vancouver.
- Our investment helped to create 30 supported housing units dedicated to youth between the ages of 16 and 24.
We've contributed $263,000 toward the development of BoosterBuddy, a ground-breaking mobile app designed by youth to boost their mental health. The free app uses video game design elements through a gamified platform that guides a series of daily quests to help establish and maintain positive habits. Check out this video for more information about this life-changing app.
- Over 100,000 downloads since launch (Sep 2014) in USA, Canada, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Semi-finalist in the Health section at the Gamification World Awards in Barcelona (Nov 2015).
- Average rating: 4 stars.
Coast Capital Savings Entrepreneurship Skills for Trades and Technology Program
We've invested $376,000 to establish a unique program that will provide trades and technology students at BCIT a hand in starting their own businesses. The program will assist students to develop their entrepreneurial skills and build their small business know-how so they are set up for success when they graduate.
- Students are learning essential and practical business skills to start their own business.
- The first course, Starting your own Business was delivered at full capacity in the Spring Semester 2016.
- Up to 200 students per year will be accommodated in the program.
Coast Capital Savings Venture Connection
In 2016, we invested $1 Million over five years in the Coast Capital Savings Venture Connection which provides support to youth ventures including an early-stage incubator, coaching and mentoring, and the Coast Capital Savings Venture Prize Competition.
- Since 2011: over 400 start-up ventures have received valuable assistance from the Venture Connection.
- Over 4,000 students, alumni and members of the public have participated in Venture Connection programs and events.
- To date, Venture Connection has helped develop over 150 innovations and many thriving companies.
Coast Capital Savings Youth Entrepreneurship Award
This youth entrepreneurship award provides $5,000 to an up-and-coming entrepreneur (KPU student or recent alumni) who is launching or operating their own business. The finalists pitch their start-up business plan to a panel of industry experts.
- Launched in 2015, this new award has provided much needed financial support to two start-up ventures to date.
With a contribution of $310,000 we’ve partnered with VIU in the creation of a Ceremonial Convocation Suite designed by renowned artist Arthur Vickers, with the goal of inspiring and celebrating future generations of students, graduates and alumni. We’ve also created two $1,000 annual student awards for students in the Faculty of Management who best demonstrate a passion for entrepreneurship and innovation
- The Ceremonial Convocation Suite includes the Chancellor's chair known as the "The Keeper of Wisdom and Knowledge" and the President & Vice-Chancellor's chair known as "The Keeper of Knowledge". When students walk up to receive their degrees from the Ceremonial Parchment Bentcorner Box (Huupukwanum), their imprint will leave a lasting legacy of their achievement on the ancient wood of the box.
- 2 student awards of $1,000 each will be granted annually to support entrepreneurial-minded Faculty of Management students in their studies.
Coast Capital Savings Peer Resource and Leadership Centre
Since 2008 Coast Capital Savings has contributed $300,000 to student leadership initiatives at UFV including the Coast Capital Savings Peer Resource and Leadership Centre. The Centre offers student peer-to-peer counseling and crisis intervention, and an idea incubator which provides support and guidance to students seeking to launch student initiatives.
- Since 2008, hundreds of students have both delivered and participated in a wide range of leadership training and peer mentorship programs.